Are you looking for a reliable diagnostic laptop in Canada? I supply refurbished Panasonic Toughbooks, and many of my clients use them for automotive and heavy equipment diagnostics! Please note that while I do not supply diagnostic software and dongles, I may be able to point you in the direction of where you can get them rather inexpensively.
Important considerations for a diagnostic laptop
- A diagnostic laptop is used in a shop environment. It should be rugged and should be able to handle drops, moisture, dust, oil, and other dirt.
- It should fulfill the system requirements as specified by the diagnostic software manufacturer. Some are very basic, while some require hundreds of gigs of storage and 8GB RAM. No need to worry about it, just tell me what software you’ll be running and I’ll suggest an appropriate model.
- The unit should have appropriate ports and connections. Many dongles run from USB, while others use a LAN connection. Some older ones require a RS-232 serial port, while yet others use Bluetooth. This comes down to the software you are using.
- A specific operating system might be needed. Many diagnostic programs prefer to run on Windows 7. Some older ones will only run on Windows XP. Many require Windows 10 these days. What if you need all of them? No problem, I can configure a unit with multiple operating systems, just ask me.
- Appropriate screen brightness and size. I have rugged units from 10 to 15 inches. Possible touch screen interface, as preferred.
Need help in picking a diagnostic laptop? Contact me!
Cheap online sources for diagnostic dongles and software
I do not supply or load diagnostic software, but these guys do:
Get the laptop from me, and get the software from your dealer or from the above!
Popular diagnostic PC models
Popular heavy equipment diagnostic software and their system requirements
- Cummins INSITE 8.7. Windows: 10. CPU: 2.5GHz+. Storage: 10GB. RAM: 8GB.
- Get a laptop for InSite!
- Caterpillar Electronic Technician 2021 (Cat ET). Has pretty low system requirements, but does require Windows 10. Essentially any computer which runs Windows 10 well will run CAT ET well. Note that since version 2020B, Windows 7 and 8 are no longer supported.
- Get a laptop for CAT ET!
- Detroit Diesel Diagnostic Link 8. Windows: 10. Storage: 20GB. RAM: 4GB. Also Calibration Tool, DDCT, DDDL.
- Toyota Techstream 16. Windows: 7, 8, or 10. Storage: 5GB. RAM: 4GB.
- Volvo & Mack VCADS / Premium TechTool 2.8. Windows: 7, 8, 10. Storage: 20GB. RAM: 4-8GB.
- Perkins Electronic Service Tool 2021 (EST). Windows: XP, 7, 8, 10. Storage: 1GB. RAM: 2-4GB.
- Hino DX2. Windows: XP, 7, 8, 10. Storage: 20GB. RAM: 2-4GB.
- Meritor Wabco ToolBox Plus 13. Windows: 7, 8, 10. Storage: 1GB. RAM: 2-4GB.
- International Master Diagnostic, ICAP, IPTS, NETS, IPC, DLB. Windows: 7, 8, 10. Storage: 1GB. RAM: 2-4GB.
- Eaton Service Ranger 4. Windows: 7, 8, 10. Storage: 10GB. RAM: 2-4GB.
- Bendix ACom. Windows: 8 or 10.
- Allison DOC 2021. Windows: 10. Storage: 40GB. RAM: 4GB. From 2021, only Windows 10 is supported.
- TEXA IDC-5. Windows: 10 64-bit. Storage: 12GB. RAM: 8GB. Bluetooth.
- Get a laptop for TEXA!
- Ford IDS. Windows: 10 Pro. Storage 10GB. RAM: 4GB.